1. Abhyanga: A traditional ayurvedic body massage
“The body of one who uses oil massage regularly does not become affected much even if subjected to accidental injuries, or strenuous work. By using oil massage daily, a person is endowed with pleasant touch, trimmed body parts and becomes strong, charming and least affected by old age.”— Charaka Samhita Vol. 1, V: 88-89
Abhyanga is herbalised oil massage that enlivens and revitalizes the body. The goal is to balance both physical and subtle body systems.
The massage uses warmed herbalised oil in circular strokes on joints, long handed strokes over long bones,spiralling strokes over chest and abdomen, all in a rhythmic, meditative flow.
The individually prepared herbal oil and massage style is tailored to the client’s body type to break up impurities, stimulate both arterial and lymphatic circulation, increase nutrients to cells and remove stagnant waste.
Additionally, it helps move the subtle energies in the body to unblock the channels (nadis), allowing the body to restore itself to optimal health. Once (nadi ) channels are clear, healing and spiritual power can manifest in the body.
One of the aims of ayurveda therapies are to balance the body’s subtle energy system, nadis, chakras and vayus so they function in harmony, increasing one’s health and longevity.
2. Benefits of Abhyanga Massage
(Outlined in: Charaka Samhita, Sushruta Samhita and Ashtanga Hrdayam)
- Produces softness, strength and color to the body
- Decreases the effects of aging
- Bestows good vision
- Nourishes the body
- Increases longevity
- Benefits sleep patterns
- Benefits skin
- Strengthens the body’s tolerance
- Imparts a firmness to the limbs
- Imparts tone and vigor to the dhatus (tissues) of the body
- Stimulates the internal organs of the body, including circulation
Pacifies Vata and Pitta and Harmonizes Kapha
3. This course will teach you
- The basic principles of ayurveda philosophy
- What specialised herbal oils to use for what dosha and conditions
- All the practical aspects of setting up table and room and equipment for abhyanga massage
- Marma therapy for specific areas of body
- Authentic rhythmic sequenced stokes and techniques to perform a 11/2 hour abhyanga massage
- How to perform massage according to clients body type
- The benefits to body mind and spirit
- The contraindications of abhyanga
- How to incorporate steam therapy with essential oils at end of treatment to assist oils to penetrate deeper
- The sprinkling of herbal dusting powder, known as a light ubvaratana for exfoliation and penetration of oil
- Self abhyanga massage and its daily benefits
4. Who this course is for
- Lay person wanting to treat friends and relatives
- Professional Massage Therapist wanting to learn further techniques
- Beauty Therapist and Hairdressers wanting to learn new techniques
- Anybody wanting a relaxing and healing time to be nurtured and cleansed by receiving and giving many massages
- Course can be used as credits for continuing education
- You will gain a Certificate of Attainment on completion of course
- This course is approved for Continuing Professional Education (CPE) points for Massage Associations,and entitles you to membership of Massage Associations
Course date TBA
7. Study options
$485 for one day personalised course instruction.
2days Personalised tution is $ 950
In personalised training two days is sufficient. Also professional video is available to buy on day for $50 for further studies and refreshment.
If pay $400 deposit or in full then Video can be purchased before course if you want to watch and learn to enhance your one or two day practical learning.
The video has step by step instructions of all material covered in practical. hands on course
Personalised training is limited to 1-2 persons and time and dates are negotiable to suit all.
Email CSSM for more details or phone 0407645764 to discuss your options and what you want to achieve from your studies.
We create flexible study plans to meet your needs.
This course is also available as Home study. Please click here Homestudy courses
Can gain CPE points and professional liability insurance for home study
- $485: One-to-one Tuition Price (per-day)
- 2 days $950
- Homestudy $345
9. Delivery and Materials
The day of the course will be instructional demonstrations and practice in pairs. You will give and receive many massage practices and leave feeling rejuvenated and relaxed and confident in the new modality. The focus of the course is the practical skills needed to give an Abhyanga Massage.
PDF course manual on the Theory and Principles of Ayurveda and Abhyanga Massage covering the following information is sent once I receive deposit to read before course:
- Ayurveda principles and philosophy
- Doshas questionnaire.
- Qualities and properties oils used.
- History, contra-indications, benefits, client forms and timings for massage
- Practical moves and techniques of Abhyanga Massage.
- How to perform self massage
- To enrol in this course or for further information please send Kaye an email.
- Click here to pay securely and quickly online on our shop. Places are only confirmed on receipt of $100 deposit .
I love this new massage and everything I learnt about Ayurveda. The oils are divine to use and the technique so flowing I love the way the massage strokes work with energy pathways in the body.. Beautiful. My clients love it. Looking forward to doing Shiro Blessings. Jan