1. Abhyanga: A traditional ayurvedic body massage
“The body of one who uses oil massage regularly does not become affected much even if subjected to accidental injuries, or strenuous work. By using oil massage daily, a person is endowed with pleasant touch, trimmed body parts and becomes strong, charming and least affected by old age.”— Charaka Samhita Vol. 1, V: 88-89
Abhyanga is herbalised oil massage that enlivens and revitalizes the body. The goal is to balance both physical and subtle body systems.
The massage uses warmed herbalised oil in circular strokes on joints, long handed strokes over long bones,spiralling strokes over chest and abdomen, all in a rhythmic, meditative flow.
The individually prepared herbal oil and massage style is tailored to the client’s body type to break up impurities, stimulate both arterial and lymphatic circulation, increase nutrients to cells and remove stagnant waste.
Additionally, it helps move the subtle energies in the body to unblock the channels (nadis), allowing the body to restore itself to optimal health. Once (nadi ) channels are clear, healing and spiritual power can manifest in the body.
One of the aims of ayurveda therapies are to balance the body’s subtle energy system, nadis, chakras and vayus so they function in harmony, increasing one’s health and longevity.
2. Benefits of Abhyanga Massage
(Outlined in: Charaka Samhita, Sushruta Samhita and Ashtanga Hrdayam)
- Produces softness, strength and color to the body
- Decreases the effects of aging
- Bestows good vision
- Nourishes the body
- Increases longevity
- Benefits sleep patterns
- Benefits skin
- Strengthens the body’s tolerance
- Imparts a firmness to the limbs
- Imparts tone and vigor to the dhatus (tissues) of the body
- Stimulates the internal organs of the body, including circulation
Pacifies Vata and Pitta and Harmonizes Kapha
3. This course will teach you
- The basic principles of ayurveda philosophy
- What specialised herbal oils to use for what dosha and conditions
- All the practical aspects of setting up table and room and equipment for abhyanga massage
- Marma therapy for specific areas of body
- Authentic rhythmic sequenced stokes and techniques to perform a 11/2 hour abhyanga massage
- How to perform massage according to clients body type
- The benefits to body mind and spirit
- The contraindications of abhyanga
- How to incorporate steam therapy with essential oils at end of treatment to assist oils to penetrate deeper
- The sprinkling of herbal dusting powder, known as a light ubvaratana for exfoliation and penetration of oil
- Self abhyanga massage and its daily benefits
4. Who this course is for
- Lay person wanting to treat friends and relatives
- Professional Massage Therapist wanting to learn further techniques
- Beauty Therapist and Hairdressers wanting to learn new techniques
- Anybody wanting a relaxing and healing time to be nurtured and cleansed by receiving and giving many massages
- Course can be used as credits for continuing education
- You will gain a Certificate of Attainment on completion of course
- This course is approved for Continuing Professional Education (CPE) points for Massage Associations,and entitles you to membership of Massage Associations
June 3rd -4th Booked out . Please email if interested and I can set new date.
- $435: Early-Bird Price (applies when a $100 deposit is paid at least three weeks prior to course commencement)
- $465: Full Price
- $50: Instructional Video for course participants as ongoing learning tool.
- $475: One-to-one Tuition Price (per-day)
8. Delivery and Materials
The day of the course will be instructional demonstrations and practice in pairs. You will give and receive many massage practices and leave feeling rejuvenated and relaxed and confident in the new modality. The focus of the course is the practical skills needed to give an Abhyanga Massage.
PDF course manual on the Theory and Principles of Ayurveda and Abhyanga Massage covering the following information is sent once I receive deposit to read before course:
- Ayurveda principles and philosophy
- Doshas questionnaire.
- Qualities and properties oils used.
- History, contra-indications, benefits, client forms and timings for massage
- Practical moves and techniques of Abhyanga Massage.
- How to perform self massage
- To enrol in this course or for further information please send Kaye an email.
- Click here to pay securely and quickly online on our shop. Places are only confirmed on receipt of $100 deposit .